Monday, April 1, 2013

Jesus Accepted the Consquences of OUR Sin



What Did Jesus Do?

Jesus Accepted (And Still Receives) the Consequences of OUR Sin

“He was wounded for OUR transgressions;
He was crushed for OUR iniquities…
And the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of US ALL.”
                                                                        Isaiah 53:5-6

I took some time over the weekend to re-watch The Passion of the Christ.  My wife asked me to mute the sound when the movie arrived at the scene of Christ’s scourging at the hands of the Roman soldiers.  There were eyes shut as well for those terrible minutes depicting the fulfillment of the words of the prophet Isaiah captioned above.  Even our son, who has no trouble watching river of blood being spilled in horror films, averted his eyes from, well, the most horrible scene in all of history.

We shook our heads at the barbarity and sadism of the men who wielded the fiendish tools of torture with such apparent pleasure in the awful work.  But I could not heap condemnation on the legionnaires who were “just following orders.”  No, instead I said to my wife, “It wasn’t those soldiers, but we, who apply every one of those brutal stripes to Christ’s flesh.  Did you notice that I said “apply” rather than “applied”?

You see, it has been troubling me for some time now, and finally struck me with stunning force as we watched that disturbing scene, that, even though Christ’s Passion was nearly two-thousand years ago, and, even though the Lord said of his work of redemption, “It is finished” (John 19:30), there is a present reality of the Lord’s suffering as a consequence of our sins.  It is too easy for me to think of the risen Jesus in glory now at the Father’s right hand, and remove the terrible consequences of my sin to the far distant past.  If Christ’s suffering is over, and the penalty for sin (Mine and yours.) has been paid (And it has!), then, somehow, my sin, my sinning doesn’t seem so bad.  I mean, even if I my transgressions hurt somebody, or if they impact my own life negatively, at least He no longer has to suffer for it.  If it (Christ’s being wounded for my transgressions and crushed for my iniquities.) is finished, then the real consequences of sin can almost be muted as simply as clicking a button on the remote; I can fast forward past the horror.

But, and I have really been struggling to understand this (Not to mention how to put it in writing), I am convinced that the sins I commit today add stripes to Christ’s back then.  I have to confess this, failing to see and feel the present reality of the Lord’s suffering as the direct consequence of my sins, well it permits me to sin, if not boldly, then (even worse) carelessly, casually.  Don’t misunderstand me, I get it, I don’t have to suffer the penalty for the sins of today (nor yesterday’s sins, nor tomorrow’s) because Christ as already paid the penalty in full.  But, even though Jesus finished the work of redeeming me, the work goes on, He suffers still, every time I sin.

There is something to be said for the Crucifix of the Roman Catholic Church which depicts the suffering Lord, over and above the empty Cross we Protestants favor.  A Crucifix is a present reminder of the ultimate, real, and present consequence of all sin—Christ’s Passion—a horror unimaginably worse than you or I could bear. 

Oh, I celebrated Resurrection Sunday with all my heart yesterday.  Christ is risen!  Jesus is alive.  He who promised never to leave or forsake us is present.  And if present, then still quite capable of feeling the terrible pain as He accepts the consequences of my sin.  Therefore,

Lord, keep back your servant from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me!  Then not only shall I be blameless and innocent of great transgression, but neither shall you anymore have to deal with the consequences of my iniquity.  For, by dying and rising from the grave,  you have broken my heart and my spirit.  You have brought me into your presence, never to cast me away, and restored to me the joy of your salvation!  Amen.

Christ IS All!

Jim 
Marion, NC
PS 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment